Shoe Storage at the Entrance

We wear slip on shoes and we take them off at the entrance and don't walk in the house in shoes.

In our big house in Southern California, I bought the husband a valet he never used because I was fed up with him using every dining chair as a hanger for his jackets and emptying his pockets into the dining table.

The valet went in the Master bedroom and gathered dust.

We moved to a small apartment in Northern California and placed it near the front entrance. He and both kids competed for space on it.

There should maybe also be hooks by the front door for jackets. But there should definitely be shoe storage.

I prefer things like a coat rack or hooks to a coat closet. I'm not a huge fan of dumping keys and purses on a table in the foyer. That strikes me as a security issue.

But shoes are nasty and I don't want to scrub the floors like the Japanese woman, Taka, in The Last Samurai does after a boorish westerner tracks mud into her house. Like the Japanese, I would rather store all shoes at the entrance and not track filth into the house to begin with.

Comments