Raison d'etre

The oldest unpublished draft on this site is dated December 2014 and it's not a Test post, so I probably grabbed this URL even earlier than that.

I would have been homeless at the time. I eventually got myself back into housing on my own effort without going through a program and for a time I took photos of my dive apartment and talked about why I liked x, y or z.

It wasn't getting traction and I didn't feel it was doing what I wanted. I frequently reference the Legal Weapon line Lifestyles of the Rich and Shameless when complaining about what HGTV eventually became and what many shelter magazines are about.

Architectural Digest is absolutely terrible about featuring homes filled with upscale decor that's prestigious because it worked for literal nobility a few hundred years ago, such as tables designed to serve food to huntsmen while in the middle of a hunt and still on horseback.

If you are a famous celebrity in a New York condo, I'm pretty sure you bought that table because it's expensive and impressive and not because you need to stop by your penthouse apartment on horseback in the middle of a hunt.

And you probably don't have any real use for it. You probably haven't discovered it's the perfect height for those crowded soirees standing room only you regularly host at home.

Because you probably don't do anything like that.

HGTV was initially modeled after This Old House and it was kind of Blue's Clues for grown-ups trying to improve their home on a budget. Blue's Clues did substantial research before airing and learned that their target audience of preschoolers loved repetition because they were learning.

So Blue's Clues intentionally made one new show a week and broadcast it five times in a row. By Thursday, their rapt audience was yelling answers enthusiastically at the TV when they asked the questions.

I could see my favorite HGTV shows at least twice and sometimes three times because they only had three hours of original programming and repeated it later for West Coast viewers and a few shows also repeated on Saturday.

I began doing crafts and refinishing furniture and anything I reasonably could within my means logistically and I was happy.

This site currently has seven whole posts and probably a sucktastic About page. It's public. I try to be mindful I'm publishing this and theoretically trying to develop an audience and establish an earned income as a blogger and I've gotten endless hatred from the world for all kinds of stupid stuff.

But the reality is it exists because I'm homeless again but healthier than I used to be and trying to imagine what kind of home and lifestyle would allow me to return to a "normal" life after something like fifteen years of sleeping in tents and hotels and living for a time in poverty housing that never really had a functional full service kitchen even if it was supposed to.

And I just have no idea how to do that while catering to the need to not talk too much about my personal situation etc. 

I don't REALLY WANT another health site. I cannot begin to tell you how much I absolutely HATE the idea of writing a defacto health site while everyone hates on me and acts like I'm a weirdo for wanting a home that has some hope of keeping me healthy.

But that's basically the problem I'm trying to solve and it's not being worked on in earnest and I need a way out.

Comments