Elegant, Affordable Floor-to-Ceiling Curtains

Years ago, I had a small apartment in the San Francisco Bay Area. It had some issues it with being too open of a layout, noise control and some other things.

I solved them all for probably under $150 with curtains made from discount flat sheets and hung from copper piping bought at a place like Home Depot. 

You can probably do this using cheap copper piping and closet rod supports for short sections. You will need to add one or two extra rod supports in the middle of the wall, if it is over about ten feet because otherwise the copper piping will sag/bend and fall off the closet rod supports. 

I think I bought eight king-sized flat sheets and one twin flat sheet from a clearance bin and had a tailor sew pockets for the rods. 

You need something like 1.5 or 2 times as much curtain width as wall width so it will form folds. It looks prettier and has more sound-dampening effect than just hanging flat fabric in front of the wall/windows.

Examples of Supplies:

Copper Pipe Cutter
King Flat Sheets:
Closet rod supports:
Center hook for a long wall.

I put curtains on a bedroom wall that I was tired of staring at after months of being bedridden. It provided sound proofing between my bedroom and the kid's room.

I put a twin sheet at the end of the hall in place of a door.

I put curtains between the dining room and living where there was no wall, just a short bit of wall at the ceiling separating the rooms and did the same between the dining room and kitchen and added a curtain over the window.

This made the dining room into a private space which I effectively turned into a studio apartment for myself. I was getting divorced and I moved my stuff out of the master bedroom and the future ex's stuff into the master bedroom over the course of a couple of years.

Because they were bed sheets, they were washable, unlike most curtains.

This helped turn an overly open floor plan into a flexible floorplan with movable walls and allowed four people to peaceably coexist in a cramped, overcrowded space under very difficult circumstances.

Comments